Sunday, January 1, 2012

#69 The Case of Caprese Salad

You've heard the advice about fashion that if you haven't worn an item in your closet during the last year, you should revise/reuse it or reject/recycle it.

Is it surprising to you that this counsel works as well in the kitchen as it does in the dressing room?

The reason I bring this up is I looked over my recipes the other day and realized I hadn't made my Caprese Salad in a year or more. What? It's a totally yummy, healthy, easy recipe! Why was I depriving myself? And hubby too!

My conclusion was that the presentation was a little too fancy for me. Most of us need inspiration for every day, not for entertaining. Moreover, I don't know about you but even the meals I host for guests are meant to feel laid back, comfortable, homey and welcoming. So I ditched the fancy!

Here's my new and revised Caprese Salad. Eat it more often!

Caprese Salad

4 tomatoes, cored, ends trimmed, sliced
2 large globes buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini, sliced

1 cup fresh basil leaves
balsamic glaze for drizzling

olive oil for drizzling
salt
pepper

Arrange the tomato slices on two plates. Top with the cheese slices, tucking a few of them under the tomatoes. Aim for a pleasing, random look. Scatter on the beautiful, intense, fresh basil leaves. Drizzle with the olive oil, then the balsamic glaze. Salt and pepper to taste.

 
Serves 2.
 
Becki
 
PS You'll see I have comments re my previous version below. Will you add new ones?

2 comments:

  1. Where do you find 'buffalo' mozzarella? Love the photo and the flavor combos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti,

      Nice to hear from you again. Buffalo mozzarella is made from buffalo milk and is considered the very best mozzarella. I've bought it in a plastic container in the cheese section of my grocery store. Often I replace it with the more economical bocconcini.

      Delete