Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Case of Holy Mole Tofu!

Warning: I'm a bit of a rebel in the way I prepare tofu. In order to give it a chewy texture that resembles meat, most people recommend letting tofu stand, wrapped in a clean tea towel, with something heavy on top of it to press out some of the water before cooking. Then they sauté it in oil to crisp up the outside. I don't try to enhance the "meatiness" of tofu. I like its firm custard texture just the way it is. 

Holy Mole Tofu

1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsps chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 19-oz can diced tomatoes
1 red pepper, chopped
1 chilli, minced
1 jalapeño, minced
1-1/4 cups water
1-1/4 rounded tsps (for 1-1/4 cups) vegetable bouillon powder
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsps crunchy almond butter
1-1/2 lb firm tofu (slice horizontally through the thickness of the tofu, then cut in triangles)

In a non-stick frying pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil for about 5 min or until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a couple more min. Stir in the tomatoes, red pepper, chilli, jalapeño, water, vegetable bouillon powder, chocolate and honey. Cover and simmer for 10 min.

Blend.

Return to the pan and stir in the crunchy almond butter. Add the tofu, turning to coat. Simmer, stirring, for 3 min.

Serves 4.

♥ Becki

PS To make this recipe vegan, replace the honey with another sweetener. To leave me (and Cynthia) a message, click on the comment button below.

4 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks delicious! It is making me hungry just looking at it. And I just had dinner....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch, Sara! I wish your profile picture (my other lovely commenters' pics and mine too) showed up here. What's going on, Blogger?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. You've read the book so I find it's an excellent sign that the trailer still resonates with you. Indeed, we're very pleased with the work our publisher did re both the cover and the trailer. The visuals.

      Do you think you'll do a trailer for "Life and Death in London"? My publisher isn't making trailers anymore, thinking they're not useful enough. We're wondering if we should do one ourselves for our work in progress. What's your opinion about trailers in general?

      Delete