Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Case of the Famous Olson House...plus Creamy Whipped Potatoes and Chick Peas

I draw. All designers need to be able to sketch a layout for clients and the result does have to please. I'm also a big fan of other people's visual art, a valuable element in any designer's toolbox. I feel it's necessary, however, to give art in general a very wide definition and not limit it to visual art. There are many, many arts. Think of all the entertainment arts. Even something as indefinable as living well can be considered a creative art form. So many styles and creative choices possible! I feel that every human being practices some form of art in an effort to improve life experience, thus my definition of art is generous. This particular blog post of mine marries a favourite visual artist with the art of cooking one of my favourite recipes.
 
By reading the title of this post and staring at the picture above, can you guess who my favourite artist in question is? To be cheeky, I'd like to ask you to put your answer in a comment below and see how many of you get it right but instead I'm going to print his (another clue, eh?) name further along in the post. If I could print his name upside down like at the bottom of a page in a puzzle book I would, because I'm in that kind of mood, but alas that's not technically possible here.
 
More clues... Karl and I recently went on a mini-vacation. We crossed the border into the USA to visit the Farnsworth Art Museum and The _ _ _ _ _ Center in particular. I had seen all kinds of prints of my favourite artist's work but never an original piece. In the museum I was in groupie heaven. To raise the level one notch higher (higher than heaven?), we included a visit to the Olson House in our admission package.
 
My as yet unnamed favourite artist painted subjects in and around this late 1700's house extensively, including its occupants at a later time, the Olson's. I wonder if you can imagine how thrilled I was to be able to stand exactly where he stood and take in the very scenes that he rendered in his paintings. Paintings like Alvaro and Christina, watercolour, 1968; Wood Stove, dry brush watercolour, 1962; and his most famous painting of all, Christina's World, egg tempura, 1948. 
 
Who was this artist?
 
Andrew Wyeth (1917-2009). 
 
What about the recipe which follows? Did Andrew Wyeth make and enjoy Creamy Whipped Potatoes and Chick Peas? Was he also trying to add more protein to his carbs? I think not. So what is the connection between the famous Olson House and Creamy Whipped Potatoes and Chick Peas? It's a bit vague to tell the truth. This post about Andrew Wyeth and his painting inspiration follows a previous post about Vegetable Kebabs and in that post I mentioned and showed in photograph Creamy Whipped Potatoes and Chick Peas. Naturally, the actual recipe had to follow soon after and I thought, Why not pair it with Mr. Wyeth and his art?
 
Creamy Whipped Potatoes and Chick Peas
 
1-1/2 potatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chick peas
1 tsp butter
salt
pepper
1/4 cup evaporated 2% milk
 
Boil the potatoes until tender. Add the chick peas to the water and bring back to a boil. Drain.
 
Whip with the butter and salt and pepper to taste. Add the evaporated 2% milk and whip again.
 
Serves 2.
 
Becki
 
PS To leave me (and Cynthia) a message, click on the comment button below.

1 comment: