Monday, July 11, 2011

The Case of Asparagus with Parmesan Lemon Mustard Sauce

Occasionally when I was little, and Maria – my friend and our beloved cook – was off, Mom stepped in and made Stephen and I asparagus with cream sauce on toast. She'd belt out an aria as she whisked flour, salt, pepper and milk into melted butter in a saucepan on the stove. Seasonal asparagus made Mom happy. I tend to romanticize the things she loved myself...well...except opera.

Saturday, these jade green spikes of asparagus, tipped with lavender, jumped out at me at the farmer's market. I carried two bunches to our apartment above Beautiful Things. In our cozy kitchen, I made my own, up-dated, carb-wise version of my mother's meal, for Karl and me.

Asparagus with Parmesan Lemon Mustard Sauce

2 bunches asparagus
2 tbsps butter
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsps flour
1/4 tsp salt
pepper

1 cup 2% milk
1 tsp grainy mustard
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 tbsp lemon juice
Parmesan to shave

Cook the asparagus until tender-crisp. In the meantime, sauté the garlic in the butter. Add the flour, salt, and pepper to taste, and whisk until smooth. Gradually add the 2% milk, and whisk until thickened. Stir in the mustard, grated Parmesan and lemon juice. Lay the asparagus spears on two plates and spoon on the Parmesan Lemon Mustard Sauce. Shave a little extra Parmesan on top to garnish. Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment