Skip to main content

#64 The Case of Panzanella

The great thing about being a foodie is the potential for growth. Not in waistline...uh...I mean the subject of food is so large, I'll never stop learning. For example, I was aware of the Italian salad Panzanella and thought, Yuck, bread salad. The word soggy came to mind. Then I saw an Italian making it with love and decided to give it a try.

Revelation!
 
Comforting, healthy, simple, delicious. The pieces of bread taste like wonderful, chewy Italian loaf you've chosen from the bread basket at table and moistened in olive oil swirled with balsamic vinegar. Panzanella reminds me of bruschetta, even, because the bread morsels soak in the tomato juices as well.
 
To make more of a meal, toss in the optional arugula.

Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar Vinaigrette (Recipe in my next post.)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
8 diagonally sliced pieces Italian bread
4 cups multi-coloured grape tomatoes, halved
2 sprigs fresh basil
4 handfuls arugula (optional)
 
Whisk the Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar Vinaigrette in the bottom of a large bowl.
 
Drop in the red onion.
 
Break the bread into bite-size pieces over the onion.
 
One by one, squeeze the grape tomato halves over the bread then add to the bowl.
 
Tear the fresh basil leaves into the salad as well. Toss.
 
Serves 4.
 
♥ Becki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...