Skip to main content

# 85 The Case of Split Pea Soup

2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced

2 carrots, chopped
8 cups water
8 rounded teaspoons (for 8 cups) vegetable bouillon powder
2 cups split peas
2 tablespoons soya sauce
6 bay leaves
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas or chopped parsley for colour
salt

Simmer the first 11 ingredients (onions to pepper) for 45 min. or until the split peas are tender/chewy.

Remove the bay leaves.

Blend 1-1/2 cups of the soup and return it to the pot.

Add more water if necessary. Stir in the fresh or frozen green peas and salt to taste.

Serves 6.

♥ Becki

Comments

  1. Hi Becki, great recipe. Feel like growing your readership? We can help you share your blog with fellow Torontonians who share your interest in vegetarian eating. For more info or to get on board, email me at skelly@offthegridto.com with "Body" in the subject line.

    Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
    Siobhan Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siobhan,

      Thanks for the positive feedback. However, I'm sure you'll understand when I say I prefer to grow readership the old-fashioned way. Even if it is slower.

      Besides, Becki, Vegetarian Detective, who's maybe a wee bit suspicious by nature, thinks putting "Body" in the subject line is not the very best plan...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...