Monday, April 15, 2013

The Case of Detective Charlie Kerrian's Favourite Sweet Potato Pie

It's not called social media for nothing! I met Detective Charlie Kerrian on the Internet and right off the bat we became new-techie-age pen pals. And why shouldn't we since we have this one rather odd thing in common? We are both the subject of murder mystery books.

I'm totally convinced that you will love Kerrian too. I give you these words from his very first post on www.kerriansnotebook.com.

What makes me happy is solving cases and the honest serenity of life on the golf course. When not doing that, you can find me in the kitchen with my wife working on new recipes, or listening to music, or writing, not necessarily in that order. If friends and family behave, they can join us anytime for a great home-cooked meal and some iced coffee or sweet tea. And, always a great dessert.

Doesn't he sound friendly? (As long as you're not a murderer.)

So I tried Kerrian's recipe for White Sweet Potato Pie, which you will find on his blog. I subbed regular sweet potatoes for white sweet potatoes because that's the only kind available in Black Currant Bay, and I used all evaporated milk instead of some half and half. However, the result was absolutely delicious! And the scent of baking pie made our apartment a home!

Detective Charlie Kerrian's Favourite Sweet Potato Pie
(The way I made it for Karl.)

2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (no butter or anything added)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
10 oz evaporated milk
1 unbaked deep dish pie shell

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes and both sugars. Beat in the salt, cinnamon, vanilla and eggs. Add the evaporated milk and mix until just blended.

Pour into the pie shell and bake for 15 min. Lower the temperature to 350ºF and bake an additional hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool on a pie rack for 1 hour.


YOURS, BECKI GREEN. TO LEAVE ME (AND CYNTHIA) A MESSAGE, CLICK ON THE COMMENT BUTTON BELOW.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't internet a wonderful thing:) And a delicious-looking pie as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I've made a number of lovely, lovely friends over the Internet, including you.

      Delete
  2. Kerrian and friends are delighted to see the sweet potato pie recipe here! :-) Hmmm... I feel a pie craving coming on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm craving sweets too, Detective Kerrian. They seem to help me cope with the overwhelmingly sad and scary things I'm seeing and hearing on the news.

      Delete