Skip to main content

#107 The Case of Detective Charlie Kerrian's Favourite Sweet Potato Pie

You'll love my friend Kerrian. I give you these words from his very first post on kerriansnotebook.com.

What makes me happy is solving cases and the honest serenity of life on the golf course. When not doing that, you can find me in the kitchen with my wife working on new recipes, or listening to music, or writing, not necessarily in that order. If friends and family behave, they can join us anytime for a great home-cooked meal and some iced coffee or sweet tea. And, always a great dessert.

Detective Charlie Kerrian's Favourite Sweet Potato Pie
(The way I made it for Karl.)

2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (no butter or anything added)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
10 oz evaporated milk
1 unbaked deep dish pie shell

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes and both sugars. Beat in the salt, cinnamon, vanilla and eggs.

Add the evaporated milk and mix until just blended.

Pour into the pie shell and bake for 15 min.

Lower the temperature to 350ºF and bake an additional hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool on a pie rack for 1 hour.

♥ Becki

Comments

  1. Isn't internet a wonderful thing:) And a delicious-looking pie as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I've made a number of lovely, lovely friends over the Internet, including you.

      Delete
  2. Kerrian and friends are delighted to see the sweet potato pie recipe here! :-) Hmmm... I feel a pie craving coming on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm craving sweets too, Detective Kerrian. They seem to help me cope with the overwhelmingly sad and scary things I'm seeing and hearing on the news.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...