Skip to main content

#168 The Case of Spaghetti in a Beet Pesto Sauce

Beets are sweet!

4 beets (2 cups total volume)
drizzle of olive oil plus 1/4 cup for later
enough whole-wheat spaghetti for two people
enough regular spaghetti for two
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted in oven at 350ºF for 10 min.
salt
pepper
I/4 teaspoon chilli pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Trim the beets. Place on foil or in a casserole dish and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap or cover, and roast for 1 hour. Let cool.

Cook the spaghetti (if your whole-wheat pasta is not a tiny bit thinner than your regular pasta, add the whole-wheat pasta to the pot first, bring back to a boil and cook for 1 min. before adding the regular pasta).

In the meantime, peel and chop the roasted beets into large pieces and pulse them in a blender with the garlic, toasted walnuts and salt to taste. Add the 1/4 cup olive oil and pulse again. Check seasoning.

Drain the pasta and toss with the pesto. Twirl onto plates using tongs. Grind pepper on top to taste. Sprinkle with the chilli pepper flakes.

Serves 4.

♥ Becki

PS I have minced the garlic cloves and toasted walnuts by hand, grated the roasted beets with a box grater into a bowl, then stirred all the pesto ingredients together. It adds minutes to the prep time, it's messier, for sure, but it's equally heavenly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...