Skip to main content

#220 The Case of Thai Cold Rolls

8 8-1/2" round rice-paper wrappers
1 bunch basil, stemmed (or use sprigs of cilantro)
1 large mango, peeled and sliced
salt
4 carrots, shaved with a vegetable peeler into strips
2 English (seedless) cucumbers, thinly sliced on a mandolin
Thai sweet red chilli sauce

Soak a rice-paper wrapper in water for about 20 seconds until pliant. (It will continue to soften as you work.) Lay it flat on your work surface.

Always keeping about an inch from the edges of the wrapper, make a horizontal line of basil leaves near the bottom. Face the dark green side of the basil leaves down so the vibrant colour will show through the translucent wrapper.

Add a row of several mango slices.

Salt to taste.

Mound carrot onto the row, then cucumber.

It's time to roll. Firmly tuck the bottom edge of the wrapper around the filling. Since the wrapper is now a little bit elastic, tug ever so gently when you fold in the sides. Then, pulling gently toward you to create some tension and pressing down at the same time, do the final roll up.

Repeat until you have eight beautiful cold rolls. 

Serve with the sauce.

Makes 8 rolls.

♥ Becki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...