Skip to main content

#225 The Case of Spaghetti with Mushroom Sauce

enough spaghetti for 4
1 cup sliced red onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 oz assorted mushrooms, torn (or 3 oz dried mushrooms, reconstituted in room temperature water for 20 min., drained—saving the liquid for bouillon—and rinsed)
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 cup vegan sour cream
1 rounded teaspoon (for 1 cup) vegetable bouillon powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons mustard
2 teaspoons ketchup
salt
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Save 1 cup pasta water then drain.

While the pasta is cooking, sauté the onion in the olive oil for 5 min., stirring frequently. The onion will start to caramelize. If the onion is getting too dark, lower the heat or add a tablespoon of water to slow down the process.

Add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme and rosemary and continue sautéing and stirring for another 2-3 min. (Only a couple min. if using dried mushrooms.)

Stir in the vegan sour cream, vegetable bouillon powder, cornstarch, mustard and ketchup.

Salt to taste.

Mix in the pasta and loosen with the pasta water, as needed.

Serve sprinkled with the minced, fresh parsley.

Serves 4.

♥ Becki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...