Skip to main content

#235 The Case of Pickled Beets

It's ever so gratifying to have sweet Pickled Beets available as a side anytime!

Pickled Beets

10 cups boiled-until-tender, peeled, and cubed beets
2-1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

Wash 2-cup canning jars and lids in hot, soapy water and dry.

Place the jars, upright, in a cold oven and heat to 225ºF. Leave for 30 min.

Boil the lids for 5 min. in a canner filled to 3-1/2".

Drop in new caps, a funnel, the ends of a pair of tongs, and a wooden skewer. 

Bring the vinegar, water and sugar to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves.

Pick the funnel out of the canner with the tongs. Using the funnel, fill the hot, sterilized jars, set on a tea towel or rag, with the cubed beets, leaving about 3/4" head space.

Add the hot pickling liquid to cover the beets, leaving about 1/2" head space. Remove air bubbles by drawing the skewer in and out of the jars, at the edges and in the centres. If necessary, wipe the rims with a clean, damp cloth.

Cap.

Add the filled and capped jars to the canner of warm water—a specialized metal rack will prevent jars from rattling on the bottom of the canner and avoid cracking. Add more hot water to cover the jars by at least 1". Cover the canner and bring the water to a boil. Processing time begins the moment the water reaches a rolling boil. Boil vigorously, adding more boiling water if necessary.

Process for 30 min. at altitudes under 1,000 feet. 

With tongs, remove the jars from the canner and let them cool for 24 hours away from drafts. Do not tighten the lids.

When cool, tighten the lids. The caps should curve inward. Wipe the jars with a damp cloth, and dry them.

Makes 10-12 cups.

♥ Becki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...