Skip to main content

#239 The Case of Devilled Eggs

I like my Devilled Eggs devilish (thus the chilli pepper flakes)! How about you?

Devilled Eggs

6 extra large or jumbo eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
1 tablespoon mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
pepper
chilli pepper flakes

Slice the eggs in two, lengthwise, wiping off your knife between cuts to keep egg edges clean.

Separate the yolks from the whites—setting the whites on your serving dish and dropping the yolks into a small bowl.

Mash/whip the yolks gradually with the mustard, mayonnaise, curry powder and pepper to taste until you have a light, creamy and smooth paste.

Fill a piping bag with your yolk filling and pipe it into your white "boats".

Sprinkle with chilli pepper flakes to taste.

Makes 12 Devilled Eggs.

♥ Becki

PS Sure, Devilled Eggs can be made ahead. Store your white "boats" upside down on a clean cloth, to absorb moisture, in a sealed container, in the fridge. Store your yolk filling in the piping bag, in the fridge. Assemble just before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...