Skip to main content

#252 The Case of Margherita Pizza

This one is special because it has homemade fresh "mozzarella". Or sub in thinly sliced, vegan feta, broken into wide pieces.
 
1 cup very warm water (120ºF - 130ºF)
1 rounded teaspoon salt
1 envelope instant yeast
3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
olive oil
1 cup raw cashews, soaked uncovered in plenty of water for at least 4 hours then drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
vegan pasta sauce
vegan Parmesan
cherry tomatoes, halved
vegetable seasoning
fresh basil
balsamic glaze

In a large bowl, whisk together the water, salt and yeast.

Whisk in 1 cup of the flour until a loose batter forms. Stir in the remaining 2 cups flour and mix until a dough forms. You may need to add more water, up to 1/3 cup.

Start kneading the dough in the bowl and then transfer to a flat surface and continue kneading for a total of 6 min.

Shape the dough into a ball and transfer to a deep, oiled bowl. Turn the dough a few times until it's coated in oil. Cover the bowl with oiled plastic wrap, then a damp tea towel. You can refrigerate the dough overnight at this point, or allow it to rise in a warm place (which can be your oven heated for 5 min. at the lowest temperature when it's cold outside and a sunny window just won't cut it) for 2 hours until doubled in size.
 
In the meantime, in a high-speed blender, blend the cashews, water, tapioca starch, nutritional yeast, salt, coconut oil and lemon juice to form a soft "mozzarella" cheese.

Preheat oven to 500ºF.

Punch down the dough and divide into 4 smaller balls. Shape each ball into a disk with your fingers. On a flour-dusted surface, roll each disk into a 10-1/2"-12" circle about 1/8" thick.

Lay on an oiled pizza pan. (Pans with ventilation holes in the bottom crisp the crust.)

Spread with sauce, grate Parmesan on top, scatter with cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with vegetable seasoning, and dollop with the fresh "mozzarella". 
 
Bake for 12 min., bottom rack.

Cut into slices and slide onto a plate.
 
Finish with the fresh basil, tearing the larger leaves, and drizzle with balsamic glaze.

Makes 4 personal 12" pizzas. 

♥ Becki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...