Skip to main content

#265 The Case of Gingerbread Soldiers

I will follow with a recipe for vegan Royal Icing. It uses aquafaba!
 
1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1-1/4 tablespoons water
1-5/8 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/8 cup vegan butter, softened
1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup fancy molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla

To make half of a flaxseed egg, in a small bowl, mix together the flaxseeds and water and set aside to thicken.
 
Mix together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves, baking soda and salt.
 
In a large bowl, beat the vegan butter with the brown sugar for 2 min., until creamy and fluffy.
 
Beat in the half of a flaxseed egg, molasses and vanilla, until smooth and well combined.
 
Gradually beat in the flour mixture until just combined.
 
Form the dough into a ball, flatten into a 1-inch disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
 
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
 
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
 
On a floured surface (I have a pastry cloth that I love but a cotton tea towel also works very well), roll out the dough to 1/8" thick. To begin, you might have to lay the plastic wrap over the dough to prevent it sticking to the rolling pin.
 
Cut out as many shapes as you can then transfer them to the baking sheet. (Gather leftover cuttings together to form a ball and repeat the process—minus the chilling—for another batch of cookies.)
 
Bake for 14 min. on the centre rack of the oven. 

Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 min. then transfer them to a rack to finish cooling.

Makes 35 small soldiers that freeze well.

♥ Becki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...