Skip to main content

#277 The Case of Palak Tofu

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 onion, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, grated or roughly chopped
1 chili, chopped
1 cup water
3 cups packed spinach
2 teaspoons lime juice
3/4 cup dairy-free whipping cream plus a little more for drizzling
1 pound tofu, cubed
nutritional yeast
salt
chili pepper flakes for garnish

Heat the oil in a very large pan, over medium heat.

Sauté the coriander, cumin and fennel for 1 min. or until fragrant.

Add the onion and salt and sauté for 10 minutes until starting to brown. Lower the heat if browning too quickly.

Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and sauté for two minutes.

Add the water and bring to a boil.

Stir in the spinach until it is just wilted.

Blend with the lime juice and dairy-free whipping cream until smooth but keeping some texture.

Pour the spinach gravy back into the pan. Add the tofu and heat to serving temperature, while seasoning to taste with nutritional yeast and salt.

Serve drizzled with whipping cream and sprinkled with chilli pepper flakes.

Serves 2 with rice. Serves more if part of a multi-dish meal.

❤️ Becki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...