Skip to main content

#212 The Case of Caesar Salad

I've posted two salads in a row, which totally doesn't give away the fact that, as the years fly by, I must gobble more greens to maintain my waistline.

If you want an even quicker salad, try Hellmann's Vegan Classic Caesar Dressing.

1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked, uncovered, in plenty of room temperature water for at least 4 hours, then drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
3-1/2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch cayenne
2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup Pine Nut Parmesan
1/4 cup simulated bacon chips (or half a Tofurky Italian-style Tofu Sausage with Sun Dried Tomatoes minced in a blender)
4 cups vegan croutons

Vinaigrette

Blend together the cashews to cayenne.

Salad

Toss the romaine with the Caesar Vinaigrette.

Toss in the Pine Nut Parmesan and simulated bacon chips.

Then toss in the croutons and plate.

Makes 4 meal-size salads.

♥ Becki

PS It's easy to make your own vegan croutons. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Cut bread crusts or old bread into cubes. Spread the cubes on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with olive oil, salt and garlic powder. Toss well. Bake, turning the cubes occasionally, until they're crisp and golden. The broiler comes in handy to get things going quickly.  

Comments

  1. Wonderful article. We are book publishing house specialize in publishing all type of information and guide books. Contact us for print and publish. Regards
    Orange Publishers - Best Self Book Publishers in India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again a great photo to accompany a yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High time I reply after more than a year of not seeing your comment. Thank you very much. By the way, I do intend to do better in the future.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Foodies!

Wonderful to meet  YOU ! At Vegetarian Detective, I share with you some of my favourite veggie, vegan and raw recipes. I know you’ve noticed that eating meat-free is a popular trend everywhere. Even going veggie just once a week. There are many reasons why. This is how. You're also invited to get to know me (Cynthia's favourite character) better by reading the mystery novels I'm in: A Purse to Die For and A Killer Necklace . Yours, Becki Green (Vegetarian Detective)

#108 The Case of Smokey Bean Soup

S mokey Bean Soup  may be the recipe I am most proud of. Smokiness is derived from two sources (no, not mascara and eye shadow)—roasted garlic and hickory-smoked BBQ sauce—a combo that produces a surprising depth of flavour. Smokey Bean Soup 1-1/2 cups navy or white pea beans 12 cups water, separated 6 rounded teaspoons (for 6 cups) vegetable bouillon powder 1/2 bulb garlic olive oil 1 onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 1 bay leaf 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary 1/4 teaspoon   pepper 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked BBQ sauce salt Soak the beans overnight in 6 cups of the water. Drain and rinse. In a covered pot, simmer the beans in the rest of the water and vegetable bouillon powder, for 1-1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice the top off the half-bulb of garlic to expose each clove. Place upright on foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap. Roast for 45 min. Let cool. Add the onion, carrots, bay leaf, rosemary ...

The Case of Vegetarian Detective in Italy

B uon giorno!   I feel like a snob saying, "I'm just back from Italy." That's me: jetsetter. Yeah, right!   But wow...Italy!   I could talk up a storm, and I surely will as I adjust to being back here, six time zones from magnificent Italia . I often ask people who've just travelled what was their favourite part of their trip. If I ask the same of myself, my answer is seeing Michelangelo's sculptures. His Pietà and The Statue of David literally moved me to tears. I just can't believe I saw "him" in person!   So...our plane from Toronto was delayed six hours and we missed the first day of activities, but we still visited Rome, Montecatini, Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Vinci, Florence, Cinque Terre and Assisi. Quite the agenda for ten days, including the two flight days, wouldn't you say? But Trafalgar made it work. I would go on a Trafalgar trip again in a heartbeat.   Things I learned in Italy:   In the regions we ...